Friday, March 5, 2010

Is God in Control?

My sister recently succumbed to her cancer-ridden body, and her spirit soared to a new freedom that was pain-free, pure joy and praise of her creator. How do I know this? My Savior told us that He was going to prepare a place for us. He spoke to a criminal on his right-hand from the cross and stated “Today, you will be with me in paradise.” He appeared to over 500 witnesses after his resurrection from the dead, thus assuring us that he had the power to give us life after death – the hope of every person.

So I believe God has numbered the days of each of us, and that He is ultimately in control. I do not believe he created cancer and disease. Those are the results of the decisions of the first man and woman – to take their destiny into their own hands and ruin the perfection in which they were initially created. Nor do I believe God picks and chooses who will be afflicted. Both believers and non-believers are afflicted alike. What he does promise is that his children will never “walk through the valley of death” by ourselves. He will be there and comfort us – and He did. The peace, that makes no sense in human understanding, under-girded the family.

I can rest in the faith that I will see her, and my parents and grandparents, in that day when the number of my days reach their completion. My God was not taken by surprise, not did he lose control in our lives. Praise be to God, to his Son, my Savior, and to the blessed Holy Spirit, whom He sent to be our Comforter!

No comments: