Saturday, January 14, 2012

Escaping the "Church Bubble"

I am reading a book by Dan Kimball entitled They Like Jesus but Not the Church. He describes how Christian people become so immersed in the church family, that they lose all touch with those in the world who are lost and on their way to hell. I clearly see myself in this description. Now, how do I break out? Jesus prayed for the disciples in John 17:15 "My prayer is not that you take them out of the world but that you protect them from the evil one." He was in the world, but not of the world. His life was immersed in those who were hurting, outcasts (by religious standards), rich and poor alike. It was there that He ministered. He did set aside time to teach His disciples, so the church does have a place. But I believe we are also to be "in the world". Do we not hide our lights when we are always among the other light bearers? When does anyone outside my Christian friends ever get a taste of my "salt" and see my "light"? My prayer: Lord, show me how I can find a place in our community where I can touch the lives of those who are turned off by church and Christians. This is the mission field where you have placed me.

No comments: