Monday, July 6, 2009

Gardening

My daughter and I decided to try our hand at a small garden this year. Since she has a large area, we placed it there. I go visit several times a week to hoe, check for bugs, etc. We have beautiful big tomato plants, but hardly any tomatoes. We did have four fairly large ones that we were watching with great anticipation. Since we had a nice gentle rain over the weekend, I stopped by yesterday afternoon to check things out. To my great disappointment, everyone of our four tomatoes are gone. They were still very green, so I do not believe the culprit was human. What I did see were deer tracks in the rows. Do deer eat green tomatoes? I am going to do some inquiries on the internet today.

We have discussed this morning how we might solve this problem. We may have nothing left for human consumption. We are thinking that we might move her dog to the area where we believe the deer enter her yard. After lots of hard work and our initial investment in seeds and plants, we just hate to give up.

No comments: