Sunday, July 26, 2009

My Purpose

Why was I created? Why did God put me on this earth in this time? A message by John Piper answers this question with Romans 8:29 - to conform, transform, change me into the likeness of his Son, Jesus Christ. He wants me to think the way He thinks, see the way He sees, feel the way He feels, and respond to others the way He would respond. Where does it start? With Romans 12:1-2 - with the renewing of my mind by the power of the Holy Spirit. The renewing of my mind results in a new me, a holier me. One way to be transformed is to focus on the glory of God (2 Corinthians 3:18). I can find His glory in the Scriptures. Another is to pray for it (Luke 11:13). I can pray the prayers of Philipians 1:9-10 and Colossians 1:9 for myself and others.

He ends the study with a very good thought: "You are what you behold!" I need to think about what I behold - is it the futility of the world, or the abundant life offered in Jesus? For more John Piper's Bible studies, see desiringgod.com.

No comments: